Saturday, October 6, 2012

Grow them babies!

So, I figured for those who care to see- here is an updated belly shot!  It's a few days late, but oh well :)  Jon had taken one earlier, but I had opened it up and it was a lot blurrier than I thought it was.  I then took my own later.  Not the best quality, but a lot less blurry. :)

On September 25th my sister-in-law, Beth, threw me a darling baby shower.  The theme was "cookies and milk".  She had a table of well.. you guessed it... cookies and milk :)  All the guests signed the book "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" and then they also filled out some "advice cards".  They also had a bingo card they could fill out.  They had to write out what they thought I would get for gifts and if they got a "bingo" they won a mason jar filled with the dry ingredients to bake cookies- so cute!  I believe my friend, Kelli brought those (feel free to correct me in the comments!!).  It was great to see friends and to spend time with people.  I was overwhelmed with gratitude from the kindness and generosity of everyone (this includes even the awesome people who weren't there!!).  Jon and I are so grateful for all the service that has already been given to us.  We can't begin to thank you all enough for your love and support.  It was a great night!  I don't have any pictures of it (oops), but just imagine the best cookies you've ever eaten and you're there :)

The next day my dad was scheduled to go in for back surgery.  I won't lie, I was a bag of panic!  I wasn't worried about the procedure, I was just worried about how he would hold up during the process.  My dad has a heart condition (a-fib) and he has has previous experiences where his heart will pause for a little while.  It happened once while he went under for another procedure.  So, needless to say, I was nervous.  Thankfully, the procedure went smoothly and he did very well!!  The problems came after the surgery.  The doctors and nurses were struggling to keep his sugar levels down (he has type 2 diabetes) and he had a few heart pauses.  One pause lasted close to 7 seconds.  I know that doesn't sound like a long time... but for your heart to stop for 7 seconds- that's scary!!  They were also struggling with the different medications that he is currently on and knowing what his correct dosages were.  So, it was a day or two of complications and for me, being so far away, it was tough not being able to be there to help. 

The day after the surgery I went to the temple.  I really needed it.  A few people who I knew saw me and commented on they couldn't believe I was there.. you know.. being preggers and all.  However, I had (and have!) so much to be thankful for and I felt good enough to go.  It was exactly what I needed.  I am happy that I took the time to go.  I know as soon as these babies come, it will be much harder to go. 

My dad was released from the hospital on Friday and has been doing well.  He doesn't have pain in his back, but he has some pain in his legs.  Hopefully in time, that will go away.  He is taking it one step at a time, but he is walking around and is able to go up and down stairs.  I really hope that this surgery will help in his mobility.  The other good thing that has come from this surgery was that while he was there, he had an insulin specialist take a look at him.  They did a 24 hour test on him and they found that his body isn't producing insulin at all anymore.  So they put him on a new plan that should help keep his levels down in a good normal range.  I talked with him today and he has been seeing a big difference with his sugar levels!  I'm so happy for him and glad that they doctors took the time to take care of him like that.

Anyways, other than that, things around here have been good.  I can't complain :)

1 comment:

Camber said...

You look great, Crystal! That baby shower sounds adorable (where do all these creative people come from?) and I'm glad your dad is doing better--that can be super scary, especially when it's someone you care about so much.